1. Pass back and review Rhetorical Precis
2. Rhetorical Triangle: Julie Zhuo
3. Go over homework for the weekend
Homework: Over the weekend, research the author of our next Op-Ed: Eliana Dockterman. Find 5 important pieces of biographical information about her. In ALL cases, cite the source. You are welcome to simply cut and paste information and print a page. Bring Hard copy to next class.
1. Most Effective Rhetorical Devices in Zhuo op-ed
2. Rhetorical Precis introduction
3. Write Rhetorical Precis for Julie Zhuo op-ed
2. Word Play
3. Julie Zhuo Research
4. “Where Anonymity Breeds Contempt” Article and Annotation
Homework: Reread the text and identify 25 devices and/or methods of appeals that Zhuo uses to craft her argument. Underline the examples and label them with the devices being used. Use the rhetoric and argumentation handout as reference.
(**This does not necessarily mean 25 unique devices, simply 25 instances of devices being utilized in the argument)
Due Thursday, August 30
2. iReady Assessment
Homework: Research author Julie Zhuo (she is the author of our next piece of non-fiction). Find FIVE (5) important pieces of biographical information about her. Also, collect opinions about what the "mediasphere" (the web, newspapers, magazines, TV, etc) is saying and writing about her. In ALL cases, cite the source. You are welcome to simply cut and paste information and print a page. Just make sure you know the information.
Due Block Day
1. Types of Logical Reasoning
2. Identification Practice
Homework: Turn in your syllabus sign form by Friday, 8/24
2. Persuasive Letter to Parents: Peer Review
3. Rhetorical Devices Survey (Google Classroom)
4. Rhetorical Terminology
Homework: Homework: Return your signed syllabus form by Friday, 8/24
2. Class website/Remind/turnitin.com
3. Did you know? Video
4. Persuasive letter to parents
Homework: turn in your signed syllabus form by tomorrow for extra credit!